Saturday 2 August 2014

Travel Writing? Guess how I started...

Snake Story ©Solange Hando

Do you like snakes?
I don't...
I know they're silky and soft, amazingly graceful, but there you are...

Now, guess how my first travel article got it into print?
I spotted a slot in a magazine for a reader's holiday, wacky picture essential, so I kept on the look-out.

No, it wasn't this little beauty parading in the Costa Rican jungle (that one had fangs) but a host of sacred vipers in Malaysia, posing with  tourists like me in Penang Snake Temple. So I took a deep breath and there they were, draped around my arms, shoulders, hands and one dangling on my head...

Defanged, of course, but the story was sold, with pictures, to Take a Break. One foot in the door and I never looked back.

Now, are you packing for your holiday or planning the next one?
Would you like to write about it and  publish your work?
Whatever you do, don't forget your camera...

These days, most editors expect a complete package, words and pictures.
Give them what they want and you double your chance of success.

Likewise, in just 100 pages, 'Be a Travel Writer' gives you the complete package, tips and advice on writing, pitching and travel photography.
You don't need to be a pro, if I can do it, anyone can.

Enjoy and good luck!





No comments:

Post a Comment